Ferrari 250 GT PF Series II Coupe (Notchback) ~ 1958-60
In 1958, Pinin Farina’s new factory in Grugliasco Italy was finally completed, and with this the Boano/Ellena’s subcontract for the first series of 250 GT ended. A new Ferrari 250 GT Coupe replaced the 1956 Ferrari 250 GT design. This new 250 GT Coupe was still penned by Pinin Farina but unlike the Boano/Ellena’s 250 series, it also was built by Pinin Farina in his new factory, thus the name, 250 GT “PF”.
The 2600 mm (102.4 in) short chassis had the same tubular ladder layout adopted by every Ferrari so far. It was fitted with the independent double wishbone front suspension with coil springs replacing the antiquated front leave springs setup. At the back a live rear axle was also the norm for that era, while Borrani wire wheels were fitted all around housing large drum brakes.
The new steel body style was simpler than the Boano/Ellena series without the fastback treatment. The 250 PF actually looked more like it had a welded hard-top on without rear quarter side windows, making it more resemble a notchback. Our new 250 GT PF looked more bland than the previous 250 GTs with its flatter front-end and again exposed headlights. The rear fenders were slightly finned out with a pair of vertically slanted taillights. This rear design layout was going to be Pinin Farina’s rear 60’s trademark seen on Peugeot’s 404 coupe and convertible, Fiats 1800… and inspired later on the MGB (not a Pinin design).
The engine was the famous 3 liter V12 Colombo unit (180 cu in), giving now 240 hp at 7000 rpm. Customers were able to choose between two all synchronized transmissions, both were four speeders but one had an overdrive giving it longer legs for high speed cruising. The top speed achieved was 143 mph (230 km/h) and the 0-60 mph acceleration was 7 seconds.
The color coded dashboard received the usual three branch wooden Nardi steering wheel with behind it two main Veglia dials, and four smaller gauges laid on a dice pattern on the right side of the binnacle. The interior trim and leather appointment was also more abundant than usual with a leather covered dashboard and center console.
The only major change came in 1960 with the adoption of disc brakes all around. These early disc brakes weren’t as efficient as the latest drum brake technology seen earlier on the 250 GT, but Ferrari needed to keep up with this new technology, especially after the 1951 Le Mans Victory by Jaguar in a C type fitted with disc brakes, succeeding over the more powerful Ferraris.
The 250 GT made by Pinin Farina was produced at 351 units, giving Ferrari and Pinin Farina their first alliance in the “mass” production of exotic sports cars.
|Model/Year||Ferrari 250 GT PF Series II / 1958-60|
|Engine Type||All alloy V12 @ 60˚, SOHC. 2V|
|Capacity||2953 cc / 180 cu in|
|Fuel Feed||3 Weber 36 DCZ carb.|
|Power||240 hp @ 7000 rpm|
|Torque||195 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm|
|Transmission||4 speed w/ or w/out OD- RWD|
|Top Speed||143 mph - 230 km/h|
|"0-60" mph - 0-100 km/h||7 sec|
|Chassis||Oval Steel Tubular|
|Weelbase||2600 mm / 102.4 in|
|Front Suspension||2 Wishbones, Coil Springs, Tube Shocks. Anti-roll Bar|
|Rear Suspension||Live Axle, Semi-elliptic leave springs|
|Brakes||Drums - 1960 Disc all around|
|Weight||2425 lb / 1100 kg (depending on coachwork)|
|Country of Origin||Italy|